Sunday, June 3, 2012

Am I My Job?

My arm was awake when I fell asleep thinking a great deal about jobs, employment, career, and fulfillment.  You see I'm in a job environment that is not conducive to my free spirit and optimistic attitude.

In the last 40 or so years I have wanted, desired and/or attempted without success to be a radio DJ, a hero, a teacher, a writer, a counselor, a business leader, a writer, a voice-over announcer, an inventor, a builder, a screenwriter, a traveller, a secret agent, a mobster, a lawyer, a senator, a congressman, a speech writer, Braveheart, a survivalist, a cowboy, a reporter, an advisor, a case-manager, a technical writer, an interpreter, a graphic artist, a rock singer, a professional organizer, a motivational speaker, a playwright, a travel guide, a truck driver, a boat captain, a writer, an inspector, and a domestic engineer. 

However, what I ended up doing after high school is a soldier, a cashier, an accounting clerk, a systems operator, a fisherman, deck-hand and first mate on a shrimp boat, ditch digger (yes, literally), temp at Hughes Aircraft, work-study for Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehab., tutor, sheet metal worker, laminator, fork-lift operator, air filtration installer, entrepreneur (owned part of a business for awhile), night auditor, credit manager, collector, janitor, and warehouse supervisor.  I have volunteered as a chaperon, rodeo announcer, and PSA announcer.

I almost said "what I ended up being after high school", but that would have been incorrect.  What I ended up "being" was a husband and a father.  Two jobs that I take very seriously and for which I take great pride.  Also, probably the two hardest jobs I've ever had.  The hours are long, the pay is Nil, the politics are sometimes unbearable, and the training and retraining is never-ending (the girls have me pretty well trained by now though); but, the benefits are priceless, the rewards many, and the job satisfaction is second-to-none.  So they are not jobs really, but vocations. 

Jobs are just a means to end.  It helps to provide the things required to be a husband and father.  Jobs are temporary at best.  For those of you blessed enough to be fulfilled mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and economically by your jobs; be thankful.  For those of you who are not, be thankful that your job is not your being.

For many of us, our title is our being - it is who we are.  Daddy, husband, lover, brother, son, uncle, nephew, cousin, various in-law, friend, best friend, neighbor, employee, adversary, supervisor, co-worker, church member, Knight, Mr. Steve, Mr. Kingsmore, "Steve Second Floor!", "Number 413! Your food is ready!"  the jerk who cut you off in traffic, the nice guy who always smiles, the kid who sits in the last pew at church, the nice old man who gave me pancakes, that bum who thinks he can write a blog, or that one guy.  Whatever title is pinned on me, I try to wear with pride; however, I can not be all things at all times.  It is not who I AM.  Going forward I am going to work on being who I am as a being.

My arm is falling asleep and I am waking up.  Time to get to the business of Being.

2 comments:

  1. I should consider myself one of the lucky to not have a job. Instead what I do to make my living just so happens to be what I LOVE. My only hope is that at some point in your lifetime all of your hard work and endurance pay off, and soon you will not have a "job", so to say, but that you will be doing something as a means of living that you LOVE. I hope and wish the same for everyone. I will say though, the things that you are to me (Daddy, mentor, muse, motivator, editor of many papers, ATM :), family, comforter, and much much more) you do a hell of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hard work and endurance HAS paid off! I have a beautiful, loving, wife with which to share my life, two intelligent, beautiful, talented daughters who are a great source of pride and joy, and a family to support and love me. Jobs are just a means to an end.

    ReplyDelete